All our groups
2nd Thursday - 10amA small group of real book-readers (no Kindling here thankyou). We are looking for more members and the only qualifications to join the group are a love of interesting literature and a fondness for curling up in a cosy armchair. We talk about and swap the books we have read.
|Book Review (1 & 2)||
(1) 3rd Monday - 2pmA diverse range of members bound together by the love of the written word. On occasions we gather at the Public Library to peruse the shelves. Ours is not an elitist group of literary snobs reading and discussing set books. Rather Members’ personal preferences are catered for, covering a broad spectrum, ranging from tales set in the Middle Ages to the latest in detective novels, with a dash of "chick lit" tossed in for light relief. Apart from their recommendations of books read, members share topical reviews from a wide selection of publications and note those works that currently feature in the best sellers lists.
(2) 4th Monday - 2pmA group of people who meet monthly, bound together by the love of books. We do not read and discuss set books, but books that members have enjoyed or found of interest are shared with the group. In this way we are introduced to a wide variety of topics and authors. We recommend books to each other, and exchange many of our own. Members also share topical reviews from a variety of authors.
1st Wednesday - 1pmA study group looking into the life and times of some of the world's oldest and most interesting cities.
|Cooking for 1||
Monday - 6 pmA group designed to enhance cooking skills while having fun in the kitchen and around the table. Members meet twice monthly at dinner time in the Artisan Café when it is closed to the public. Milani, the cafe's proprietor and chef is the hostess and tutor for the group.
|Current Events (1,2 & 3)||
(1)1st Thursday - 10amWe discuss news and associated topical subjects and in doing so both learn and enjoy ourselves at the same time. Both national and international events are open for discussion, members choose the topics.
(2) 1st Wednesday - 10amTopical and Current from all sources of the media, this group can discuss several topics at one meeting.
With all that is going on in this huge wide world our topic list is never small.
There are no rules, if sometimes heated, but always varied and stimulating.
(3) 2nd Tuesday - 10amWe discuss a wide range of current events of national and international interest. Anything and everything that provides food for thought is acceptable and each member presents their own topic followed by analysis and good-humoured debate.
In case you are wondering, the photo above is a selfie taken by Rosetta, the Comet Chaser, with comet 67P in the background.
3rd Thursday - 2pmThe group started in 2019 and will run as long as there are good movies to watch on DVD. The convenor has a collection of much-loved movies she is keen to rewatch with similar enthusiasts, such as The Kings Speech, O What a Lovely War, The Group, All the Presidents Men. Contact Ann 3481991
1st Monday - 12.30pm (Basement Cinema), Variable times (Reading Cinema)A relaxed and happy group, we attend films together, every 2 or 3 weeks, generally going to the Basement Theatre as they tend to have more "worthwhile films". The management of the Basement is good to us, giving us a small discount and we are able to book either the larger or smaller theatre for our exclusive use. We gather for coffee after showings to discuss the film, to socialise and build friendships. Although our membership is large we can generally absorb more members as not all folk attend every film.
|Gilbert & Sullivan||
3rd Wednesday - 2pmThe group meets in convenor Ann's home. She has all twelve operettas on DVDs, filmed in the early 80s. Most of them are sung by the Ambrosian Operatic Company accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra. We will view them in the order they were written, starting with Trial by Jury, first performed in 1875, and ending with their last, and perhaps most popular, collaboration,The Gondoliers, in 1889.
Twice monthly during Summer, Time and venue notified by emailA choral of senior songsters who raise their voices for the sheer pleasure of making music and singing the songs that everyone loves to hear.
Join us and sing along with the riroriro of Rotorua.
2nd and 4th Fridays - 10amThis group of enthusiastic members would like to explain that their brand of History is not the schoolbook type. They like to investigate any topic that interest them, and all suggestions are considered
2nd and 4th Thursdays - 2pmAny topic with a philosophical or theological underpinning that fires up the cerebral neurons is meet for us to chew. We are not a Dead Philosophers Society as such, though we have been known to give the likes of Kant, Confucius and Santayana a quick work over. More likely our discussions revolve around issues of general interest such as terrorism, scepticism, humanism and the seven deadly sins. No Philosophical qualifications are needed, just a broad experience of life and a willingness to share ideas and opinions. Contact Peter 3455099
2nd and 4th Tuesdays - 2pmA group interested in photography while supporting each other in the various makes of camera. Weather permitting we have workshops to places of interest. The group hopes to expand their activities to include editing of photos as well as having our work critiqued leading towards possible exhibitions.
2nd Thursday - 2pmFor the love of poetry a group of like minded people meet on a monthly basis to debate the strengths and weaknesses of their favourite poets.
Poetry touches all our emotions as old as the human heart and elevates us to a higher plane.
Recitation is encouraged but personal composition is not part of the format of the group.
Every weekWe are killers. We bag rats, mice, possums, stoats & weasels. We have joined Whakarewarewa Pest Free to help clear the area of the predators that are destroying our native flora & fauna. We have >250 traps set along 8km of trap lines at Tikitapu/Blue Lake. Come and help us. Contact Peter 3455099
|Science and Engineering||
2nd and 4th Mondays - 10amAlways very well attended because of the varied and interesting topics to tease one’s mind. You don't need to have inherited Einstein's DNA to be involved with this group.......just an inquiring mind.
The presenters are not restricted to science topics, but are able to expand our interest and understanding of their particular subject.
1st and 3rd Fridays - 1pmThis group is not designed to teach Spanish to beginners, but is for those who are learning or have learnt and wish to practise and retain their skills.
1st Friday 1.30 pmOne of our largest groups, its members travel far and wide within the Bay of Plenty and over the hills into the Waikato visiting all manner of fascinating places and interesting happenings.
2nd Fridays - 9.20amEach walk is up to 2 hours long, within a 20 minute drive from Rotorua and requires moderate fitness. We pause for about 10 minutes for morning tea so please bring a drink and a snack. We meet at the starting point for each walk so the meeting places vary. Members are told a month in advance what the next walk will be, and are emailed a description of the walk on the monday prior. Contact Ann 3481991
|Wednesday Art Group||
Every Wednesday – 1.15pmThe members of this group (The WAGs) meet every Wednesday afternoon at the Mokoia Community Center to give free rein to their artistic talents in any medium except oils. They have no pretensions to emulate Matisse, Monet or Munch – just to enjoy an afternoon of creativity in good company.
|Writing for Families (1 & 2)||
(1) 1st Friday - 9.30amWriting for families - researching or remembering – it is good to get those stories written, whether for yourself or your family. Sharing the stories with others and hearing their stories makes for an interesting morning and often helps get past those gnarly bits or inspires more stories. It is a small friendly informal group, currently meeting in the Sequoia Cafe and you are very welcome.
(2) 2nd Monday - 10.00amWriting for families – for future generations – is a very satisfying hobby. Getting started is not always easy, but joining our group of like-minded writers and sharing ideas will soon have you tapping on your key board. It may be just an item which evokes a memory long forgotten or it could be a family history: the choice is yours. Come join us.